Official Statement Regarding the Charging of Nelson Man on Terrorism Charges.
In the Name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful
In response to the arrest and charging of a man on terrorism-based charges on 22nd November 2017 in Nelson, the Mosque committee would like to point out the following:
1. As a mosque, we have always condemned all forms of religious extremism and terrorism through our sermons, teachings and literature distribution. Such activities neither aid Islam nor are in congruence with the guidance of the beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). In fact the Prophet said:
Beware of extremism in the religion! For the people before you were destroyed due to extremism in the religion. [Ibn Maajah].
We refer you to the official website [www.IslamNelson.co.uk/terrorism] to read and listen to a sample of our articles and sermons regarding extremism and terrorism over the years. Please note that the articles and sermons precede the date of the arrest; our efforts in the Masjid have been continuous since the early foundations of the Mosque.
2. We have hundreds of people who pass through the mosque on a weekly basis. We encourage our Mosque congregation as well as all members of the local community to cooperate with the relevant authorities in order to maintain public safety.
3. We urge the community to remain vigilant and cooperate with each other to ensure safety and support for all vulnerable people.
4. With regards to the individual who has been detained on terrorism related charges, we would like to confirm that he began attending the Mosque a few years ago. At one point, he was one of a number of teachers, team teaching in an open classroom and resigned from his position 2 and a half years ago. Soon after he became distant from the Mosque congregation and stopped attending events. Since then we have had little – or no – communication with him.
5. The fact that he distanced himself from the Mosque may well be due to our ant-extremism activities and sermons. It is most likely he did not find what he wanted in the Mosque, and therefore effectively cut contacts with it approximately 2 years ago.
6. As ever, we are willing to cooperate with the authorities and the mosque can be approached through the relevant avenues.
Muhammadi Mosque Committee
16th June, 2018